EARN Meeting Minutes
March 25, 2015 – 9:00am – 11:00am
St Charles Adult & Continuing Education, Mountain Centre, 150 East 5th Street, Hamilton
Attending: Martha Colangelo, Janet Hotston, Antony Goodwin, Gabriela Covaci (Mohawk College); Nicole Delottinville (PATH Employment Services); Francine Pircio (YMCA Employment Services); Edward Darling (ABEA); Cyndi Ingle (Workforce Planning Hamilton); Julie Robitaille (College Boreal); Christina Hollis (Employment Hamilton); Angie Vanderzalm, Susan Clarke (Industry Education Council); Lori Hause, William Yeung (TRIOs College); Deborah Neshkiwe-Fox (Hamilton Regional Indian Centre); Sharon Munro, Melissa Besic (Goodwill Career Centre)
1. Welcome & Introductions:
• Reviewed EARN Mission Statement
• Went around the room and each person introduced themselves and agency info
2. Members Update
• Edward Darling/ABEA
o Discussed Leaders & Literacy Breakfast event June 4th, handed out flyers to attendees.
o Life Long Learning Week coming up Sept 2015. Free marketing in Spec for service providers to promote their programs/workshops. Registration beginning shortly.
• Nicole Delottinville/PATH Employment Services
o April community workshop calendar handed out
• Cyndi Ingle/WPH
o Discussed C3 Event
• Janet Hotson/Mohawk College Employment Services
o April 9 from 4-8, Open House at Mohawk Stoney Creek campus
o Job Fair last week for summer jobs had very good outcomes
• Deborah Neshkiwe/Hamilton Regional Indian Centre
o Hiring Transition Workers with CAS experience, deadline is April. Connect with employer and visit their website for more details on job opportunities.
o Hiring a Right to Play Community Mentor – Deadline April 2 – posting handed out
• Lori Hause/TRIOs
o Open House TODAY from 2-6. Workshops also from 2:30-4:30.
• Julie Robitaille/College Boreal
o Promoted: French as a Second Language beginning summer 2015-04-17
o For more info: https://portailetudiant.borealc.on.ca/education-temps-partiel
• Angie Vanderzalm/Industry Education Council Hamilton (IEC)
o Entry Level Advantage to Employment – ELATE II
o Discussed program and provided attendees with hand outs
o Visit www.iechamilton.ca
3. Presentation: Ontario College of Trades
Presenter: Yacine Dottridge, Stakeholder Relations Coordinator
• Visit the following link to get details of each trade at www.earnwhileyoulearn.ca
o 156 Trades (reviewed above website) – 1 more to be added in the future.
o Concerns front line workers have when working with client’s interested in trades
o Overview of sign up process between Apprentice and employer – fees
o Positives of becoming a Member
o Concerns about employers who are not registered
4. Networking Break – 15 minutes to meet others from various agencies
5. Facilitated discussion on OCT with Yacine related issues impacting Clients and Front Line Staff
• Participants were given the opportunity to provide their own personal experiences when assisting Clients interested in trades.
Wednesday, May 27/15, from 9 – 11 am., St Charles Adult & Continuing Education, Mountain Centre, 150 East 5th Street, Hamilton
Presentation: Challenges and opportunities when working with youth, David Quinn and Melina Elia, Career Foundation